Certificate III in Surface Preparation and Coating Application (Powder Coating)
This qualification covers the skills and knowledge required to perform the wide range of surface preparation and protective coating application operations which occur across a range of typically heavy industry, ships and infrastructure.
Job roles/employment outcomes:
The Certificate III in Surface Preparation and Coating Application has been developed as a trade level qualification for use in MSA07 Manufacturing Training Package. This qualification has been developed in response to an industry request. People with this qualification would be expected to work under routine only supervision, preparing surfaces and/or applying protective coatings in accordance with a provided technical specification. They would be expected to recognise situations where the intended approach was not appropriate/not working and take appropriate action to ensure the final result is satisfactory.
They may work in a manufacturer's factory or they may work as contractors on the site of the plant/ship/infrastructure.
The sector typically prepares surfaces for initial application, or for the reapplication, of protective coatings. In these circumstances it also applies the protective coating which may be liquid or solid. This qualification relates to surface preparation and coating and coating units are required.
The surfaces being prepared are typically metal (usually ferrous) and may be structural or have other mechanical requirements.
People with this qualification may be expected to:
- abrasively blast clean surfaces to Australian Standard requirements and in accordance with the specification
- otherwise prepare surfaces for coating as required by the specification
- apply liquid protective surface coatings
- apply solid polymer surface coatings (this is usually a specialised area).
- Current Year 10 or 11 student
- Current/previous experience in metal work/engineering subjects
- Good level of maths and literacy skills
- Leadership skills
- A passion to work in the engineering sector
A Cover Letter which addresses the above requirements along with an up to date Resume with a list of school subjects currently being studied and 2 referees is to be emailed ASAP as per the below details:
Applications and ALL enquiries to:
0438 810 719